Manry Rawls LLC was founded in Virginia in 1872 and is one of the oldest independent insurance agencies in the Mid-Atlantic region. For almost a century and a half, Manry Rawls has earned an impeccable reputation providing competitive insurance products and services for its clients.
L.L. Manry and Sons, Inc. was founded in Courtland, Virginia in 1872 by Lucius L. Manry. Mr. Manry was a veteran of the Civil War and returned home to embark in the insurance business. At one time, L.L. Manry and Sons, Inc. was the oldest privately owned insurance agency in Virginia still trading under its original name.
In 1908, Manry was joined in the business by his sons, Edward and Wilbur. After returning from the first World War, Edward decided to run the family’s farming and sawmill business rather than remain in the insurance business.
In 1923, Wilbur took over the management of the agency.
In 1950, Wilbur was joined in the business by his nephew, Edward H. “BB” Brooks, Jr.
In 1962, Joseph W. Hutt, Jr. and Louis P.”Packy” Jervey, Jr. joined the agency. In 1965, L.L. Manry purchased the Jack B. Farmer Agency in Franklin, Virginia, establishing a Franklin office. In 1968, Arnold A. “Sandy” Dempsey, Jr. joined the agency and later that year, L.L. Manry purchased the Jesse Lee Agency in Drewryville, Virginia.
On January 1, 1971, L.L. Manry and Sons, Inc. merged with R. P. Rawls and Son Agency of Franklin. R. P. Rawls and Son was founded in 1920 in Franklin by Mr. R. P. Rawls – in 1935, Rawls was joined in the agency by his son, R. “Ashby” Rawls. The merged entity began trading as Manry-Rawls Corporation.
In 1972, E. Warren Beale, Jr. joined the firm as the company celebrated its 100th anniversary. In 1977, Paul Hartz, Inc. of Waverly, Virginia joined the Manry-Rawls agency establishing a Waverly location.
In 1979, Manry-Rawls purchased the Savedge Insurance Agency, which had offices in Wakefield and Stony Creek, Virginia. William B. “Buddy” Savedge joined the firm in June of 1979.
In 1980, “Packy” Jervey was elected President of Manry-Rawls.
In 1981, the J. W. Pope Agency in Boykins, Virginia joined the Manry-Rawls group –later that year, Manry-Rawls also opened a Smithfield, Virginia location.
In June of 1982, Manry-Rawls expanded again and purchased the Dinwiddie Agency in Dinwiddie, Virginia.
In 1986, “B.B.” Brooks retired as Chairman of the Board of Manry-Rawls after 36 years of service.
In 1987, Manry-Rawls purchased the Hopewell-Petersburg Agencies. The Dinwiddie and Hopewell- Petersburg locations were combined and moved to a new location in Colonial Heights, Virginia.
On September 22, 1988, “Packy” Jervey died after a brief illness. In November of 1988, Warren Beale, Jr. was elected President.
On Janauary1, 1989, Manry-Rawls Corporation was purchased by Warren Beale and his brother, Frank.
On October 1, 1992, Manry-Rawls purchased the Bristow Agency in Franklin, Virginia, formerly owned by Wesley F. Wills.
In January of 1995, Joseph Hutt retired from ManryRawls with 33 years of service.
On January 1, 2006, Manry-Rawls Corporation split the agency – the Chesterfield location was assumed by Frank Beale and was no longer affiliated with Manry-Rawls Corporation. The Franklin and Courtland locations remained as Manry-Rawls – Warren Beale remained as President and became the sole owner of the agency.
On January 1, 2011, Warren sold Manry-Rawls Corporation to V. S. Pittman, II and James M. Cox and the agency changed its name to Manry Rawls, LLC. “Vee” Pittman assumed the title of President and Jim Cox was named Vice-President.
In 2014, Manry Rawls, LLC purchased the Windell Francis Agency(crop insurance). Also in 2014, Manry Rawls welcomed Farmers Bank as a partner in the agency. Farmers Bank is a locally-owned bank headquartered in Windsor, Virginia with multiple locations in the region.
In 2015, Manry Rawls purchased the Shirley T. Holland agency in Windsor, Virginia.
In 2016, Manry Rawls purchased the Lifsey Agency in Emporia, Virginia – also that year, Manry Rawls opened a new office in Smithfield, Virginia. Manry-Rawls Corporation had a prior office in Smithfield that was closed and consolidated in 1994.
In 2017, Farmers Bank purchased the ownership interest of Jim Cox. Founded in 1919, Farmers Bank and Manry Rawls share a common vision for our clients that has enabled both entities to flourish for many years. This partnership makes both companies stronger and better prepared to serve the needs of our clients in the future.