Manry-Rawls Corporation, founded in Virginia in 1872, is one of the oldest independent insurance agencies in the Mid-Atlantic region. Manry-Rawls has earned an impeccable reputation for providing competitive products and professional services for its clients.
L. L. Manry and Sons, Inc. was founded in 1872 by Lucius L. Manry. It was the oldest privately owned insurance agency in Virginia still trading under its original name. Manry was joined in the business by his sons, Edward and Wilbur, in 1908 and moved his office to Courtland. After returning from the army, Ed Manry decided to run his family's 700 acre farm and sawmill rather than work in the insurance business. His brother, Wilbur J. Manry, therefore, took over the management of the agency in 1923. In 1950 he was joined by his nephew, Edward H. Brooks, Jr.
In 1962, Joseph W. Hutt, Jr. and Louis P. Jervey, Jr. joined the agency and in 1965 the firm purchased the Jack B. Farmer Agency of Franklin, establishing a Franklin Branch office. On March 1, 1968, Arnold A. Dempsey, Jr. joined L. L. Manry and Sons, Inc. This same year the Agency purchased the Jesse Lee Agency in Drewryville.
On January 1, 1971 L. L. Manry and Sons, Inc. of Franklin/Courtland merged with R.P. Rawls and Son of Franklin. R.P. Rawls and Son was founded in 1920 by R.P. Rawls; his son, R. Ashby Rawls joined the agency in 1935. The merged corporation began trading under the name of Manry-Rawls Corporation.
E. Warren Beale Jr. joined the firm in February 1972. Manry Rawls celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1972. Paul Hartz, Inc. of Waverly and Manry-Rawls Corporation of Courtland/Franklin consolidated their facilities on January 1, 1977 establishing a Waverly location of Manry-Rawls Corporation.
Manry-Rawls and J.W. Pope Insurance joined effective January 1, 1981. Manry-Rawls also established its Smithfield location in 1981.
In 1979, Manry-Rawls purchased The Savedge Insurance Agency and thus acquired the expertise of William B. Savedge who had been in the insurance field since June of 1972.
Edward H. Brooks, Jr., Chairman of the Board of Manry-Rawls Corporation retired on January 30, 1986, after 36 years in the insurance business. He had been President of L. L. Manry and Sons, Inc. since Mr. Manry's retirement in 1967. Mr. Brooks was made Chairman of the Board of Manry Rawls Corporation in 1971.
Manry-Rawls purchased the Dinwiddie agency in June of 1982 and the Hopewell - Petersburg agencies in early January 1987. The merged offices moved to the Colonial Heights location in 1985, where they remained until a 2004 relocation to Chesterfield.
Louis P. Jervey, Jr. was elected President of Manry-Rawls Corporation in 1980. Mr. Jervey died September 22, 1988. E. Warren Beale was elected President in November of 1988.
Manry-Rawls Corporation was purchased by E. Warren Beale, Jr. and Frank P. Beale on January 1, 1989.
The Bristow Agency, formerly owned by Wesley F. Willis was purchased by Manry Rawls on October 1, 1992.
In January 1995, Joseph Hutt retired from Manry-Rawls Corporation after 33 years in the insurance industry.
Effective January 1, 2006, Manry-Rawls Corporation split off the Chesterfield sales office, which was assumed by Frank P. Beale and no longer affiliated with Manry-Rawls Corporation. The Franklin and Courtland offices continued on as Manry-Rawls Corporation (also “Manry Rawls”), retaining the historical roots and traditions of the original organization. E. Warren Beale, Jr., continued on as President and became the sole principal owner of the agency.